After struggling with food sensitivities for years ( skin rashes, arm bumps, facial swelling ), I finally came to realize a major culprit in my issues, were dairy products. While I still indulge in dairy from time to time, and my kids do as well, I have taken to cooking a lot of our meals completely dairy free.
At the beginning of my quest to cook delicious meals dairy free, I saw it as being quite a challenge, and often times felt discouraged. After doing a lot of searching online, I came to realize, it is not. There are MANY delicious, simple recipes that do not require the use of dairy products—recipes that not only I love, but my kids love as well.
We have always enjoyed a good Alfredo sauce in our household, but as I am sure you are aware, is full of dairy.. After doing a little searching, and a bit of testing, we have discovered that cauliflower and SO Delicious Dairy Free Organic Almondmilk with Cashew ( and a few other ingredients ), make a fantastic Alfredo replica!
Here is the recipe that we liked the best–try it out, and let us know what YOU think!
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons of So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Cup So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Optional: Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Chop your cauliflower into small-medium sized florets.
- Place your florets in a microwave safe bowl, adding 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil and 2 Tablespoons So Delicious Almond Milk.
- Place in the microwave, and heat on high for 10-12 mins uncovered.
- After the 10-12 mins, stir/toss the cauliflower, making sure it is coated in the oil/almond milk mixture. Then place back in the microwave for 7-8 mins.
- Once your cauliflower is heated, place it in a high speed blender. Add - 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper, 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, and your 3/4 cup So Delicious Almond Milk. * we add 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast Flakes to ours, but this is not necessary.
- Blend until smooth. Add additional So Delicious Almond Milk in small increments, until you have reached your preferred consistency.
- Season to taste with additional salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat to desired temp if you like.
We use this sauce in various different ways, but our favorite is pictured here. For this meal, we saute sliced mushrooms ( a carton ) with around 5 cloves of chopped garlic, add it to the sauce and simmer a bit, then put it on top of noodles, and add a bit of fresh parsley on top. It’s super delicious, and a very healthy meal, that is great for the entire family–my kiddos gobble this stuff up!
So Delicious is 50 calories or less per serving–something that I can definitely get excited about! It’s become my go to for almost all of the recipes that call for dairy, I even love it in my cereal as well as simply sipping it from a glass! Since cutting the majority of dairy out of my diet, my skin has cleared up dramatically, and my arms are smooth and free from rashes and ugly, itchy bumps!