Endangered Species Chocolate and A Molten Cocoa Mug Cake
Recently I was given the opportunity to try out 4 amazing chocolate bars as well as 3 mouth watering spreads from Endangered Species Chocolate! Not only are these super duper tasty, but they are a chocolate that gives back! Read on for more delicious details…
About Endangered Species Chocolate :
They give back!
“10% of our net profits are donated annually to current 10% GiveBack Partners; each is guaranteed a minimum annual donation of $10,000 and is free to use the funds on projects they deem most important. With over $1 million generated in the past three years alone, each chocolate purchase adds up to big support that helps wildlife thrive.”
“Endangered Species Chocolate has an established history of working with cocoa farmers in West Africa, supporting growers that commit to high standards for quality and ethical trade. Now, Endangered Species Chocolate is expanding that support with the transparent reporting resources of Fairtrade International, resulting in the first American-made chocolate using fully traceable cocoa from West Africa.”
Non-GMO Project Verified
“This seal verifies that our chocolate is produced according to rigorous best practices of GMO avoidance. The Non-GMO Project and Endangered Species Chocolate respects your right to know what’s in the food you’re eating and the products you’re buying.”
“Many of our dark chocolate selections are Certified Vegan® by Vegan Action. This certification provides vegans an easy-to-recognize symbol signifying than an item contains no animal products and is not tested on animals. Please note that Vegan Certification is not an allergen certification. If you have dairy allergies, please refer to the allergen statement located on the ingredient panel of our chocolate products.”
“A gluten-free diet is a diet completely free of ingredients derived from wheat, barley, rye, and triticale. Endangered Species Chocolate meets the strictest standards for gluten-free, going beyond the requirements of government law and regulations. This symbol enables people to easily identify our chocolate as a gluten-free good with confidence.”
“Endangered Specie Chocolate products are certified kosher-dairy by Orthodox Union (OU). For over 80 years, the OU has maintained the highest standard of kosher supervision and Kosher Certifications. Since our milk and dark chocolate is processed on shared equipment, all of our chocolates are certified kosher-dairy.”
“The dairy-free creme found in our 3oz. Filled Bars is made using RSPO Certified palm oil, sourced from Brazilian grower, Agropalma. RSPO certification promotes the growth and use of sustainable palm oil, helping reduce the negative impact of palm oil cultivation on the environment. Additionally, IBD EcoSocial certification provides traceability of fair trade and zero deforestation criteria.”
I have to say that while I adored the chocolate bars, the spreads in Hazelnut, Cocoa and Almond were my absolute favorite! They are each so thick, creamy and totally decadent! These are THE best spreads I have eaten to date and they totally blow the socks off of the competing brands that don’t do nice things for animals! Oh. My. Goodness. We have used each spread in so many different ways, including on sandwiches, toast, dip for fruit and pretzels as well as in chocolate mug cakes—which I have posted the recipe for at the bottom of this post! These are amazing to say the least and by purchasing these tasty treats you are also giving back…win-win!
Now on to the Chocolate Bars! I have to say, these dark chocolate bars were also to die for…my favorite being the Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt and Almonds! Yum Yum! There are SO many other flavors to choose from, and I am dying to get my hands on their Dark Chocolate with Pumpkin Spice and Almonds…Imagine! My kids really got a big kick out of the inside of the wrappers on the bars, which include a ton of facts about each featured endangered animal! They actually insisted on keeping the paper for reference in the future 😉
I think these chocolates are superb and would make absolutely fantastic gifts and stockings stuffers this upcoming Holiday season! I know a ton of relatives who would absolutely go nutty to get their hands on a bar! I know that after tasting the delicious bars I am a bit nutty for them myself!
And now for the absolutely amazing molten cocoa mug cake recipe I know you have been waiting for…
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar (you can add 1 tbsp. more if you like it a bit sweeter)
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. chocolate/hazelnut/almond spread ( I used all three! )
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Stir in the milk and vegetable oil making sure batter is lump free.
- Pour mixture into a microwave safe mug. Make sure you leave enough space for the cake to rise! I used an oversized cup and will use a smaller one next time 🙂
- Add 1 tbsp. of your spread of choice. I used a little bit of all three—and think I went a bit above the 1 tbsp. Simply put it in the middle of the cake…you really don’t need to worry about pressing it down inside of the cake.
- In the original recipe it is recommended to place a paper towel in the microwave to prevent a big mess in case of overflow—but we don’t buy paper towels and I was a bit of a rebel!
- Microwave cake for 70 seconds on HIGH ( this is based on using a 950 watt microwave–which I have! Hopefully this will help you determine what time you will need )
- Take it out and enjoy—be sure to be careful, it could be hot hot hot 😉
- Optional–I put marshmallows and sprinkles on top of mine–my kids and I were going for a “hot cocoa” look 🙂 It also ended up being pretty darn tasty!
I adapted this recipe from http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/the-moistest-chocolate-mug-cake/ Which you should check out…she is definitely a lot more professional than I !
Enjoy and check out Endangered Species Chocolates…your taste buds will NOT regret it and your conscience won’t either!
I was sent these complimentary chocolates in exchange for my honest review.