Summer Traditions & Ice Cream Cake! (Read for Recipe & Contest Details)
Summer means to many things to us. A break in our school year, camping, cookouts, swimming, but it also means something else…birthdays! The vast majority of our family celebrates their own special day during the summer months, and we do our absolute best every single year, to do something super special, and let the Birthday child choose their own outing, as well as birthday dessert. It’s kind of a tradition.
This year is no exception! Besides our normal summer birthday trips to the river, the campground, Silver Dollar City, etc…my youngest Augie, thought it would be super fun to have an ice cream cake! In the past, we’ve purchased the store bought variety, but I was never especially satisfied with the price tag, or the fact that there weren’t very many customization options, when it came to the ice cream flavors. After doing a bit of searching online, I decided to try my hand at creating one at home.
So, I set off with my list of ingredients, and headed to the grocery store. As you can imagine, Ice Cream is sorta the start of this show, and with the wide variety of flavors from Hiland (plus, they use the best quality products and local ingredients! ), I was able to customize the cake to our specific tastes. We chose the Featured Flavor, which is Outlaw Run! With Chocolate chunks and swirls of sea salted caramel in rich vanilla ice cream, it was sure to be a winner! Not to mention, my son got a little excited seeing the box, as he’s pretty anxious to head to Silver Dollar City and check out some new rides. We are only around an hour and a half away, and it’s definitely our favorite summer time destination.
Speaking of which, I just learned that Hiland is currently holding a super exciting contest in which you can win a prize package consisting of:
- Valued at approximately $1,000, this prize package includes:
- Four (4) 2-day passes to Silver Dollar City
- Four (4) passes to Showboat Branson Belle (each pass includes cruise, show and meal)
- One (1) Silver Dollar City meal card ($100.00 value)
- One (1) Visa prepaid cash card ($200.00 value)
Enter here!! https://ooh.li/f3f8f18
I don’t know about you, but I sure hope to win!
- Cake Ingredient:
- 2 56 Ounce Containers of your choice flavor Hiland Ice Cream, Softened
- 2 Cups Of Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1 Package of Chocolate Sandwich cookies, chopped finely
- Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 2 Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4-5 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1. Very lightly spray or butter a 10 inch springform pan.
- 2. Spread your first box of softened Hiland ice cream evenly in the bottom of your pan. Put in the freezer for 40 mins. Spread your hot fudge over the top of our ice cream once your 40 mins of freeze time is up, then sprinkle your chopped sandwich cookies. Press them gently into your hot fudge. Place back in the freezer for 40 mins. After 40 mins in the freezer, add your last container of Hiland Ice Cream to the top, and spread evenly. Freeze for at least 8 hrs, but I chose to freeze overnight.
- 3. When unmolding your cake from the springform, invert your cake onto a plate, and release the springform, and slide the pan off. If this does't work immediately place a hot towel or cloth around the pan for 20-30 seconds until it loosens. Remove the bottom of the pan, and top the cake with whatever you will be serving your cake on, and turn the cake right side up. Place your cake back in the freezer for a minimum of 20 mins.
- 4. While freezing, whip up your whipped cream frosting! Combine the ingredient and using a whisk, or whisk mixer ( whip on medium high ) until your whipped cream is fluffy and semi firm peak.
- 5. After you remove your cake from the freezer, spread the whipped cream frosting on your cake. Don't forget to work FAST! Then decorate as you see fit! I piped the whipped cream frosting on to the cake and used sprinkles! Pop your cake back in the freezer.
- 6. Remove your cake from the freezer no more than 5 mins before serving, these babies get soft...fast.
This cake was extremely easy to make. Honestly. I found that the most difficult part of the process was keeping the cake from melting while I was decorating, and transporting for the last steps…
Tip: When spreading your hot fudge, make sure that it is at room temp, or warm it up slightly if it has been refrigerated, so that it spreads easily.
Despite my instructions, I only added one layer of ice cream, because I used the wrong springform pan…oops! It was still super delicious, and we really enjoyed the cookie acting as a “crust”.
I was super pleased with how my cake turned out, especially being made with the Hiland Outlaw Run ice cream! It gave it an extra something, and far outdid any store bought cake we have EVER purchased.
This cake is now an absolute family favorite, and Mr. Augie was quite impressed! I definitely see this being a new summer favorite, as well as a new Birthday tradition!
You know the thing about ice cream? It melts 😀 But truly, the cake held it’s shape perfectly, we just lost a bit of our whipped cream icing along the way. The cake was still absolutely the most amazing we have had, and we learned exactly how long the cake should be left out of the freezer before serving. It definitely made for some giggles, some ice cream licking, and an overall blast! #noregrets
Check out the super duper cute video we created sharing our new summer tradition, our Hiland ice cream, and my little guys own version of our Ice Cream Cake how-to! We had a absolute blast following traditions, and creating new ones. What are some of your favorite summer traditions? Share them in the comment section below, and don’t forget to check out and enter for your change to win the amazing Silver Dollar City prize package from Hiland Dairy! #IScreamForHiland #HilandIceCream